Events: Tie-down roping, team roping (header)
Career earnings: $3,209,318
Born: Aug. 5, 1967 (Houston, Texas)
Residence: Hockley, Texas
Joined PRCA: 1990
World Titles: 8 (TD 1991, 1995-96, 1999-2000, 2002, 2005; AA: 1999)
NFR Qualifications: 20 (CR: 1990-2006, 2008, 2010, 2012)
Tour Finale titles: 3
Pace Chute-out: 2002-03, 2005
Tour Finale qualifications: 17
Pace Chute-out: 2000-06
Summer Finale: 2002-06
Championship: 2003-06, 2009
DNCFR titles: 1 (2003)
DNCFR qualifications: 6 (TD 1994, 1997, 2000, 2002-03, 2005)
- 2016 - Won RFD-TVs Gold Buckle Match Roping against Cody Ohl (Rose Palace - San Antonio, Texas)
- 2014 - Won the Augusta (Mont.) American Legion Rodeo and Mineral Wells (Texas) Rodeo, co-champion at Livingston (Mont.) Roundup.
- 2013 - Won the Jayhawker Roundup Rodeo (Hill City, Kan.) and the Roughrider Days Rodeo (Dickinson, N.D.), Co-champion at the Mandan (N.D.) Rodeo Days, RodeoHouston champion - won $57,200, Co-champion at the 75th Annual Brighton Field Day Festival & Rodeo (Okeechobee, Fla.)
- 2012 - Finished the year ranked 14th with $91,778; Placed in two out of 10 rounds and finished eighth in the average at the NFR, winning $21,791, Broke Billy Etbauer's single-event earnings record during the first round at California Rodeo Salinas; won the Northwest Montana Fair & Rodeo (Kalispell, the XIT Rodeo (Dalhart, Texas), the Dixie National (Jackson, Miss.) and the Fort Bend County Fair & Rodeo (Rosenberg, Texas); won the all-around at the Crosby (Texas) Fair & Rodeo).
- 2011 – Crossed the $3 million mark in career earnings after placing 2nd in the first round of Cheyenne on July 29; Finished the year ranked 39th in the world with $29,510; won Iowa's Championship Rodeo (Sydney), the Kit Carson County Fair and Rodeo (Burlington, Colo.) and the Western Frontier ProRodeo (Pocatello, Idaho)
- 2010 –Placed in six out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR tieing for the win in the second round with a time of 7.6 seconds. Won a total of $56,349 and finished the year ranked 5th with $140,654; won the Sikeston (Mo.) Bootheel Jaycee Rodeo, the Lawton (Okla.) Rodeo and the SandHills Stock Show & Rodeo (Odessa, Texas); finished second at the Calgary Stampede after tying with Matt Shiozawa in the $100,000 round and having to have a rope off; was co-champion at the Red Desert Roundup Rodeo (Rock Springs, Wyo.)and at the Red Bluff (Calif.).
- 2009 – Won the Angelina County Benefit Rodeo (Lufkin, Texas) and the Tri-State Rodeo (Fort Madison, Iowa). Finished the year ranked 20th in the world with $54,931 in earnings.
- 2008 – Placed in five out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR and placed fourth in the average with a total time of 105.3 seconds on 10 head and won $57,602. Finished the year ranked eighth with $130,249; won the New Mexico State Fair and Rodeo (Albuquerque), the Coleman (Texas) PRCA Rodeo, the Johnson County Sheriff’s Rodeo (Cleburne, Texas), the Gladewater (Texas) Round-up Rodeo, the Cowboy Capital Pro Rodeo (Bandera, Texas), the Guadalupe County PRCA Rodeo (Seguin, Texas) and the Harris County Fair and Rodeo (Houston); was co-champion at the Days of ’47 Rodeo (Salt Lake City, Utah).
- 2007 – Won the Mountain Valley Stampede (Heber City, Utah), the Kit Carson County Fair and Rodeo (Burlington, Colo.), the Calgary Stampede $100,000 round (not sanctioned by the PRCA) and the Western Montana Fair and PRCA Rodeo (Missoula).
- 2006 – Won the Guadalupe County PRCA Rodeo (Seguin, Texas), the Sheridan (Wyo.) Rodeo, the Guymon (Okla.) Pioneer Days Rodeo, the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Rodeo (Fort Worth, Texas) and won the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour Round at the Laughlin (Nev.) River Stampede; placed in three out of 10 rounds at the Wrangler NFR, finished 14th in the average and $19,381; finished the year ranked 11th in the world with $107,028.
- 2005 – Won his eighth overall world title and seventh calf roping title at the Wrangler NFR after placing in five out of 10 rounds and winning a total of $168,782; won the New Mexico State Fair & Rodeo (Albuquerque), the Junction (Texas) Twist-Off ProRodeo, and the Wrangler ProRodeo Tour Round and average title at the Pendleton (Ore.) Round-Up; won the Pace Picante ProRodeo Chute-out (Reno, Nev.) and $15,000.
- 2004 – Inducted into the ProRodeo Hall of Fame; Finished third in the world standings with $158,000 and was fifth in the Wrangler NFR average, winning $40,758 in 10 days; won the calf roping at the San Antonio (Texas) Rodeo, Rodeo Royal (Calgary), Fort Bend County Fair and Rodeo (Rosenberg, Texas), Horse Heaven Round-Up (Kennewick, Wash.), and Rancho Mission Viejo Rodeo (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.); won the match roping in Clovis (Calif.); semifinalist at the Pace Chute-out (Las Vegas); won the Tour round title at Greeley (Colo.) Rocky Mountain Stampede, Days of ’47 Rodeo (Salt Lake City) and Ellensburg (Wash.) Rodeo; finished third at the Pace Challenge (Omaha, Neb.); finalist at the Pace Picante ProRodeo Classic (Dallas); won the average title at the Texas Circuit Finals Rodeo.
- 2003 – Won Pace Picante ProRodeo Tour Finale (Las Vegas) and crossed the $2 million mark in career earnings, won Round 2 with a 7.7-second run and Round 8 with a 6.9-second run at the Wrangler NFR; won calf roping titles at San Angelo (Texas) Stock Show and Rodeo, Dodge National Circuit Finals Rodeo (Pocatello, Idaho), and Clovis (Calif.) Rodeo; finished second in the world with $200,656.
- 2002 – World champion calf roper; finished third in the all-around race; Wrangler NFR average champion; regular-season earnings leader in calf roping with $151,856; won U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Co. Cup Finale (Las Vegas) (now called the Pace Chute-out), Calgary (Alberta) Stampede, California Rodeo Salinas, Clark County Fair & Rodeo (Logandale, Nev.), Old Fort Days (Fort Smith, Ark.), Ponoka (Alberta) Stampede, Oakley (Utah) Independence Day Rodeo, Central Wyoming State Fair & Rodeo (Casper), Rock Springs (Wyo.) Pro Rodeo, Cleburne (Texas Pro Rodeo, Cowboy Capital Pro Rodeo (Stephenville, Texas), Walla Walla (Wash.) Rodeo, Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo (Waco); won the all-around and calf roping titles at the Mineral Wells (Texas) Rodeo.
- 2001 – Won calf roping titles at St. Paul (Ore.) Rodeo, Redding (Calif.) Rodeo, Lawton (Okla.) Rangers Rodeo, Rodeo Austin, Nacogdoches (Texas) Pro Rodeo, Abilene (Texas) Pro Rodeo and Redding (Calif.) Rodeo; won all-around and calf roping titles at San Angelo (Texas) Stock Show & Rodeo and San Antonio Livestock Exposition; won all-around titles as Lewiston (Idaho) Pro Rodeo and the Red Bluff (Calif.) Round-up; won Calgary Stampede $50,000 bonus round; won the Texas Circuit title.
- 2000 – World champion calf roper; Winter Wrangler ProRodeo Tour calf roping points leader and Copenhagen Cup Finale (Las Vegas) (now called the Pace Chute-out) calf roping runner-up; won calf roping titles at Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Cheyenne (Wyo.) Frontier Day, San Antonio Livestock Exposition, Clovis (N.M.) Pro Rodeo, Dinosaur Roundup Rodeo (Vernal, Utah), Oakley (Utah) Independence Day Rodeo, Red Bluff (Calif.) Round-up, and the Bay City (Texas) Pro Rodeo; won all-around title at Reno (Nev.) Rodeo.
- 1999 – World champion all-around cowboy and calf roper. Became the first African-American to win an all-around title in the history of the PRCA; won the NFR calf roping average title; won calf roping titles at Southwestern Exposition Livestock Show & Rodeo (Fort Worth, Texas), San Antonio Livestock Exposition, La Fiesta de los Vaqueros (Tucson, Ariz.), and Oakley (Utah) Independence Day Rodeo; won Texas Circuit all-around and calf roping title.
- 1998 – Won calf roping titles at the Cody (Wyo.) Stampede and National Western Stock Show & Rodeo (Denver).
- 1997 – Set NFR calf roping average record with 84.0 seconds on 10 head.
- 1996 – World champion calf roper; won calf roping titles at the Redding (Calif.) Rodeo, Reno (Nev.) Rodeo, 96th Semi-Annual Mid Winter Rodeo (Kissimmee, Fla.), Farm-City Pro Rodeo (Hermiston, Ore.), Days of ‘47 Rodeo (Salt Lake City) and Pendleton (Ore.) Round-Up; won the Texas Circuit title.
- 1995 – World champion calf roper.
- 1994 – Won calf roping title at the Cheyenne (Wyo.) Frontier Days.
- 1993 – Won the Calgary (Alberta) Stampede $50,000 bonus round; won Texas Circuit Finals Rodeo calf roping title.
- 1991 – World champion; won NFR calf roping average title.
- 1990 – Won calf roping title at Cheyenne (Wyo.) Frontier Days.
PRCA Resistol Rookie of the Year, 1990; Inducted into the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, 2003; Inducted into the ProRodeo Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs, Colo., 2004; Inducted into the Cheyenne Frontier Days Hall of Fame and honored into the National Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Okla., 2005.
6-2, 210...Wife, Cassie (Pilates instructor); daughters, Savannah and Sydney...Signature “raise the roof” has caught on with fans across country...His nickname is “Moon,” and he got it from his grandfather. His best horse was also named Moon that died in December of 2006 after breaking its hip…Hobbies include fishing, hunting, playing golf, watching ESPN and spending time with his family…Favorite sport's teams are Cleveland Cavaliers and New England Patriots, favorite athletes are Michael Jordan, Tom Brady and LeBron James, favorite movie is Dances With Wolves, favorite type of food is steak and mexican food. For more on Fred's life story visit the Gold Buckles Don't Lie website or book.